It's Gas Safety Week!

 

14 September 2020

Gas Safety Week is a great opportunity to make sure your appliances are gas safe and to be aware of the dangers of Carbon Monoxide (CO) poisoning.

Your annual gas service – it could save your life!

image: Gas Safety week logoDid you know, poorly maintained gas appliances are a huge safety risk to you and your family? Around 50 people die, and 4,000 are hospitalised each year, from carbon monoxide poisoning.

And whilst it’s easy to detect the recognisable smell of escaped gas, there’s no such warning with carbon monoxide. It’s a silent killer. You can watch the Gas Safety Week video at the top of the page to see the story of a community devastated by a gas explosion and the ripple effect it leaves behind. It's reasons like this that make it so important that you allow us to service your boiler and gas appliances.
 

image: gas engineerWhat is Optivo doing to keep me safe?

We service ALL our gas supplies, installations and equipment every year. In fact, we go further than that. Using Gas Safe Engineers, we’ve an 11 month servicing cycle. So, it’s vital you allow us access for this service.

Your appointment

We’ll contact you around two months before your service is due. You can help us by keeping the appointment or rearranging it if you need to. Our contractors will also do a visual inspection of any gas appliances you’ve installed yourselves.

The contact details for our gas contractors can be found here.

But take note…we won’t rest until your service is complete. Even if that means going to court for an injunction (costing you £800+). That’s how serious we are about keeping you and your neighbours safe!
 

IMAGE: Engineer checking a boilerKnow the signs of carbon monoxide poisoning

Unsafe gas appliances can produce a highly poisonous gas called carbon monoxide (CO). It can cause death as well as serious long term health problems such as brain damage.

CO is produced by the incomplete burning of natural gas. This happens when a gas appliance has been incorrectly fitted, badly repaired or poorly maintained.

It can also occur if flues, chimneys or vents are blocked. CO poisoning symptoms are similar to those of flu, food poisoning, viral infections and fatigue. That’s why it’s quite common for people to mistake this very
dangerous poisoning for something else.

Remember the six main symptoms to look out for:
  • Headaches
  • Dizziness
  • Nausea
  • Breathlessness
  • Collapse
  • Loss of consciousness.

Being aware of the symptoms could save your life. You may also notice that your symptoms only occur when you’re at home and seem to disappear when you leave home. Others in your household (including pets) may experience similar symptoms.
 

What to do if you suspect CO poisoning?

Get fresh air immediately. Open doors and windows, turn off gas appliances and leave the house.

Call your doctor or go to hospital - let them know that you suspect CO poisoning. They can do a blood or breath test to check.

If you think there is an immediate danger from a gas leak, call the Gas Emergency Helpline on 0800 111 999.
 

image: gas hob flameWhat can you do to prevent CO poisoning?

The most important thing you can do to minimise the risk of unsafe gas appliances is to allow our contractors to carry out your annual gas safety check. Call us today on 0800 121 60 60 if you believe your appointment is due.
 

Covid-19 and your safety

We understand you may still have concerns about Covid-19. We’d like to reassure you that Optivo and our contractors take this very seriously and we’re closely following the government guidelines in order to keep you safe.

Our staff and contractors will be equipped with the appropriate Personal Protective Equipment (PPE). This may include masks, gloves, disinfectant wipes and gels, but will vary depending on the nature of the work. Our staff will keep a social distance if working in your home and we’d ask that you do the same. We may stop repair work if social distancing is not maintained.
 

Keeping us informed

Please let us know if we’re due to start work in your home and a member of your household develops Covid-19 symptoms.

These include:

  • a high temperature,
  • a continuous cough,
  • and a loss of taste or smell.
Work will be delayed until your period of self-isolation has ended. This is vital for the safety of our staff and others. Both our call centre staff and staff visiting your home will ask you about your current circumstances and if you have any symptoms. You can also record if you’re self-isolating on MyAccount. If you need to get in touch there are a number of other ways to contact us.