Fence responsibilities and standards

Image: fence boundaryFence lines (commonly referred to as boundaries) are marked in a number of different ways and the person responsible will vary property to property.

The most common fence lines are:

  • Timber panels
  • Chestnut / split chestnut poles
  • Wire mesh
  • Picket 
  • Brick walls.

Our responsibilities:

As your landlord, we’re responsible for fences, walls and gates that border public highways and paths.  We’re also responsible for fence lines in common areas of blocks or flats.

We’ll repair these items when they’re damaged on a like-for-like basis.  We’ll also replace sections of fencing if we’re unable to repair it.

Where it would be more cost-effective to replace a damaged brick wall with a wooden fence, we’ll do so.  Where we replace with wooden fencing we’ll use unstained pressure-treated timber.

We do not provide privacy panels.

Your responsibilities:

Residents are responsible for fences, walls and gates that do not adjoin public highways or paths (unless your tenancy agreement says the landlord is responsible). This includes fence lines between gardens, regardless of whether the neighbour or land owner is a private owner. 

It is quite common for neighbours to share the cost of repairing/replacing a fence.

If you’re in any doubt about who is responsible, refer to your Tenancy Agreement or contact us.


Treating Fencing:

Regardless of who is responsible for the fence, a resident may treat it with a stain or wood preserver in a natural colour (i.e. shades of brown or green). 

Paint is not a suitable fence treatment.

Contents Insurance:

Most insurers exclude storm damage to fence-lines from their cover.

A few include it as an optional extra but you might need to have your main policy with them. It’s always worth asking when you request a quote.

Also in this section: