Dealing with anti-social behaviour (ASB)

Image: 2 woman talking about anti social behaviourAt Optivo we take reports of anti-social behaviour very seriously as we know it can affect your quality of life. We're here to help.

In an emergency

If the incident is serious or life-threatening, please call 999 and speak to the emergency services.

If the incident involves a crime not requiring an emergency response, please call 101.  A man holding his head in his handsFor example if:
  • Your car has been stolen
  • Your property has been damaged
  • You suspect drug use or dealing in your neighbourhood
Or to:
  • Give the police information about crime in your area
  • Speak to the police about a general enquiry.


What isn’t anti-social behaviour?

  • Babies crying
  • Cooking odours
  • One off parties/BBQ where there’s no evidence further problems will occur
  • Normal behaviour occurring at unusual times, for example, due to different working patterns and providing the resident is being considerate.
  • Clash of lifestyles including cultural differences
  • Children’s play
  • Noise transference due to poor sound insulation
  • Bonfires.

Reporting anti-social behaviour

Please tell us if you or a neighbour are suffering from anti-social behaviour. You can report incidents by contacting us. 

Reported incidents will be dealt with promptly by your Housing Officer or a member of our Anti-social Behaviour Team. They’re trained to help and find a way forward.

Resolving issues of anti-social behaviour

When you report anti-social behaviour to us, we’ll open a case and agree actions with you.

It’s very important you follow up on these actions as they help us take the case further.

If you don’t do this and we’re unable to progress it, we may have to close the case.


Mediation can be a good way of resolving disputes without the need to go to court.

It involves an independent third party - a mediator - who helps both sides come to an agreement.

If mediation is appropriate to help resolve your anti-social behaviour case, we’ll expect you to take part before we progress with further action. 

Noise Nuisance

Reporting noise nuisance

Noise nuisance from your neighbours can be frustrating but often the person causing the issue is unaware of the impact their behaviour is having. 

What you can do

The first step when dealing with noise nuisance is to politely let your neighbour know about the noise.

Hopefully a friendly approach will be all it needs to resolve things. If a polite approach doesn’t work or you don’t feel it’s appropriate you need to contact us. 

We realise that people will generate noise in their home from time to time. Where the noise levels become unreasonable it is considered anti-social behaviour.

What is not noise nuisance?

There are also certain types of noise that we do not consider to be anti-social behaviour, such as:
  • Everyday living noise, including - lights being switched on or off, toilets being flushed, footsteps, doors closing and opening, use of household appliances and people talking.
  • Babies crying - We won't deal with crying babies as a noise nuisance. If you have concerns for the child’s welfare please contact your local council’s child safeguarding team or the NSPCC. 
  • Children playing - Play is a crucial part of a child’s life and is fundamental for the enjoyment of childhood as well as their development. Children playing in the street or communal areas is not anti-social behaviour (unless they are causing damage).

Reporting noise nuisance to us

If it’s not a one off incident contact us. If there’s been no recent reports reporting the same you’ll be asked to complete 2 weeks’ worth of diary sheets.

We’ll review your case at the end of the 2 weeks and contact you. 

Anti-social behaviour policy

You can download a copy of our anti-social behaviour policy here.