Hate Incidents and Crime

Hate incidents and hate crimes are when someone makes threats to you, or is abusive or violent towards you because you’re perceived to be a part of a certain group.

Examples of such groups can include but are not limited to: gender, ethnicity, disability, language, nationality, religion, gender identity or sexual orientation.

When hate incidents become criminal offences they are known as hate crimes.

What is considered to be hate incidents?

Hate incidents may include:
  • Harassment/stalking – When someone continuously interacts with you against your will, which causes you to feel threatened, scared or distressed
  • Graffiti/criminal damage or arson –  writing offensive language on walls or front doors, desecrating your home, damage to your car or your home
  • Cyber-bullying – Using Twitter, Facebook , Instagram , Whatsapp, Snapchat and other forms of social media to say hurtful, distressing and unkind things
  • Verbal abuse or bullying – being called offensive names,  which may include how you dressed if you are a part of an alternative sub-culture
  • Assaults – physical attacks such as hitting, punching, pushing, spitting
  • Threats of violence – threat to kill, or threats to harm
  • Communication – hate mail, hate emails, abusive telephone calls

Reporting Hate Incidents and Crime

Report the incident to the police. If you are at immediate risk call 999, for non-urgent reports to the police dial 101

Report the incident to us - We prioritise dealing with hate crimes and hate incidents. All information is dealt with confidentially and we can also liaise with the Police and other partnership agencies on your behalf to deal with Hate Crime.

Further action

If you have received hate related letters, notes, emails, voicemail message, texts or any hate related material via social media please share this with the police.  Also take photos of offensive graffiti.

How we can help

An ASB Officer will contact you to discuss your report of Hate Crime in confidence.

With your consent we’ll agree an action plan on how best to move forward. They will also be able to discuss any support needs and referrals to specialist agencies.

Drug Activity

All drug activity should be reported to the police on 101 or anonymously through Crimestoppers on 0800 555 111.

We’re unable to act on reports of drug dealing, this is a matter for the police to investigate and we’d only take tenancy action following police charges.

If you want to report cannabis use by neighbours, please complete two weeks’ of diary sheets, noting the times you believe this has occurred. You’ll also need to include the crime reference number from the Police.

We’ll then review the diary sheets and a decision will be made as to whether action is required; you’ll be advised of our decision.