Anti social behaviour

Image: woman covering ears

Anti social behaviour (ASB) is behaviour that has caused, or is likely to cause, harassment, alarm or distress to another person.

We take reports of ASB very seriously as we know it can affect your quality of life and are here to help.

What IS anti social behaviour?

  • Playing loud music
  • Verbal or physical abuse
  • Arguing and slamming doors
  • Letting dogs bark too much or foul public areas
  • Offensive behaviour
  • Dumping rubbish (fly tipping).

What IS NOT anti social behaviour?

  • Babies crying
  • Cooking odours
  • One off parties/BBQ where there’s no evidence further problems will occur
  • Normal behaviour occurring at unusual times, for example, due to different working patterns and providing the resident is being considerate.
  • Clash of lifestyles including cultural differences
  • Children’s play
  • Noise transference due to poor sound insulation
  • Bonfires.

How to report ASB?

If you're suffering from ASB then please tell us. You can report incidents of ASB by contacting us.

If you're suffering from noise nuisance, then the first step may be to politely let your neighbour know about the noise. Although noise nuisance can be frustrating, in many cases the person causing the issue is unaware of the impact their behaviour is having, and polite discussion can help to resolve the matter. If this approach doesn’t work or you don’t feel it’s appropriate please contact us.

You’ll be asked to record all instance of ASB over a two week period before a case is opened and investigated further. This can be done using paper diary sheets or using the online Noise App.

All reported incidents of anti social behaviour will then be dealt with promptly by your Housing Officer or a member of our Anti Social Behaviour Team. They’re trained to help and find a way forward.

What happens when you report ASB?

When you report ASB to us we'll agree actions with you.

It’s very important you follow these actions as they help us take the case further. If you don’t we’ll be unable to progress the matter and may have to close the case.

In some cases, we may suggest mediation. Mediation is a good way of resolving disputes without the need to go to court. It involves an independent third party - a mediator - who helps both sides come to an agreement.

If mediation is appropriate to help resolve your anti-social behaviour case, we’ll expect you to take part before we progress with further action.

More information about our ASB process is available in our policy document here.

What to do in an emergency?

If the incident is serious or life-threatening, please call 999 immediately and speak to the emergency services.

If the incident involves a crime not requiring an emergency response, please call 101. For example if:

  • Your car has been stolen
  • Your property has been damaged
  • You suspect drug use or dealing in your neighbourhood
  • Give the police information about crime in your area
  • Speak to the police about a general enquiry

Community Trigger

We attempt to resolve all ASB complaints quickly and will work with partner agencies where appropriate. 

If you’ve reported ASB to us and feel the action we’ve taken isn’t helping to tackle the problem, then there are a number of things you can do:
  • You can go through our internal complaints process or

  • If you want to speak to someone independent you can contact your local authority to request a ‘Community Trigger’. The Community Trigger allows your local authority to carry out a case review and make any recommendations for either ourselves or partner agencies to help resolve the issues you’re having .

    You have to have reported three separate incidents to either the Police, ourselves or the Local Authority within a six month period to be eligible for this type of review.You can search the Community Trigger directory to find the details of your local authority.


How to deal with fly-tipping?

image: fly-tipping

Dumping rubbish (fly-tipping) is not only illegal, but it’s also unsightly and creates a negative impression of our estates.

If fly tipping is an issue where you live, report this to us. We can then take the necessary action to remove it from your neighbourhood and look to pass the costs involved onto the perpetrators.

Report it