Rent from us

image: a couple hugging when collecting the keys to their new homne

If you’re looking for a place to rent we've got lots of great options. We’ve homes throughout London, the South East and the Midlands.


How to apply

You can apply to be housed with Optivo by contacting your local authority and completing a housing application form. Once you've done this you'll be placed on the local authority waiting list. 

The Council will prioritise your application, and nominate you to a home suitable for your needs. This might be done through a Choice Based Letting system. 

Choice Based Lettings (CBL) allows you to apply for a home of your choice. Your Council area may operate a CBL system where you can apply for available homes that suit your needs. The local authorities advertise details of all available properties online, in local authority offices and in local libraries weekly or fortnightly.

Is the home affordable?

We’ll also check to make sure customers can afford to pay the rent on any property they might be offered. This applies to all customers, whether or not they receive benefits.

If you’d like to know more about this, please contact us.

What kind of home can I apply for?


All Optivo properties are offered to customers based on the size of the household. This means you can have one bedroom for each person or couple living in the home. There are some exceptions:

  • Two children under 16 of the same gender are expected to share
  • Two children under 10 are expected to share regardless of gender
  • A disabled resident who needs a non-resident overnight carer will be allowed an extra bedroom
  • Approved foster carers will be allowed an additional room so long as they have fostered a child, or became a foster carer in the last 12 months
  • Adult children in the armed forces will be treated as continuing to live at home even when deployed on operations.

We’re not able to offer homes that are bigger than you or your family need, based on the above criteria. This is in line with Government recommendations.

What happens if you want to move?

If you're an Optivo resident that rents from us and you decide you want to move home, then there are a number of options available to you.

This includes
  1. Mutual exchange

  2. Registering with your local authority

  3. Mobility Schemes

  4. Buying a home through Shared Ownership

  5. Rent privately

  6. Independent Living for older people

Find out more about the housing options available to you or read our Housing options booklet.

Own a home through Shared Ownership?

If you own a share in a property through a Shared Ownership scheme and would like to sell, then the process is fairly straight forward.

Find out more about selling your home.


Want to buy a home?

If you're an Optivo resident it may be possible to buy the home that you rent from us.

There are a number of schemes that allow you to do this and the eligibility criteria for each is different.
It may also be possible for you to purchase a new home through Shared Ownership. This is where you purchase and own a percentage share of a property and pay rent to us on the share we own. This is often a great way for first time buyers to get on the property ladder, as a smaller deposit is typically required.

Find out more:

Tenant Fees Act

Optivo offers homes for rent through Market Rent, Intermediate Rent and London Living Rent as well as some other special arrangements. These homes are outside of our core social housing business. With some of these homes we take deposits. 

This includes the:

  • Tenant Fees Act (TFA)
  • Redress Schemes
  • Deposit Protection Scheme (DPS)
Read more